How to Eat More Vegetables: Tip #18

Handy as Candy. You know how our grandmothers used to keep small bowls of candy set about? Use the same technique for vegetables. Leave a bowl on the counter, not just carrots but kohlrabi, jicama, sugar snap peas, any vegetable that stays fresh and crisp for a few hours.

Or keep fresh vegetables, washed and cut into pieces, ready in the fridge. Bring it out to snack on before supper or put it on the table for supper. This tip comes from my brother-in-law: he buys a platter of cut-out fruit from the supermarket, then re-uses the platter as long as it lasts, a couple of years. He threw it into the car for a recent trip north (as road food, also so the vegetables wouldn't go to waste) and left it at my house for the return trip south. Ha! I was surprised at how often I found my own fingers sneaking inside to grab a piece of broccoli. He uses the side cup for ranch dressing but I think I'll send him home with some Buttermilk Garlic Salad Dressing - fewer calories, more healthful.


Do you like these tips? There's a new one every week!

How to Eat More Vegetables - so far!

0 comments: